The New Year brings resolutions big and small for every writer. May I recommend you add one? Read Writing Magic: Creating Stories That Fly by Gail Carson Levine.
Levine’s rules for writing are resolutions! She lists them as follows:
- The best way to write better is to write more. (She actually repeats this rule three times because it is the most important rule.)
- The best way to write more is to write whenever you have five minutes.
- Save everything you write even if you hate it. (It might inspire you later).
She even sets out a Writer’s Oath.
I promise solemnly:
- To write as often and as much as I can.
- To respect my writing self, and
- To nurture the writing of others.
I don’t think anyone has put this better.
Writing Magic gives practical advice every writer can use about the process and business of writing. Personal and to the point it will encourage you to keep doing the things you are doing right and inspire you to do some things differently.
I particularly liked the writing exercises. They are excellent whether you are starting new work, revising or suffering from writer’s block. I can think of no better resource for all writers (beginners and seasoned). Start your year off right!
Don’t miss out on great content from the Mafia! Have agency news, author interviews, book reviews, etc. delivered straight to your In-Box by entering your email address in the Subscribe Form at the top/right of the page.